Student’s perception about HIV and HTLV seropositive patients of a dentistry school
Objectives: This study is to describe the perception of the students of a private Dentistry School regarding the feelings and aprehensions through the everyday dealings with HIV and HTLV patients.
Methods: An exploratory, descriptive study was realized with a qualitative approach using the Oral Theme History to collect and analyze the data.
Results: The sample comprised 140 students of several semesters. The majority of students (59%) reported ever attended patients seropositive for both viruses was observed. Although HIV was more feared, 39.55% not shown knowledge about HTLV infection. 82.58% of interviewed students previously considered important to know about HIV or HTLV seropositive patients before treatment and 69.40% reported knowing the procedures performed in an accidental exposure.
Conclusion: However it’s necessary to expand the knowledge about these infections and humanize the assistance to such patients.
- Senna MIB, Guimarães MDC, Pordeus IA. Atendimento odontológico de portadores de HIV/AIDS: fatores associados à disposição de cirurgiões-dentistas do Sistema Único de Saúde de Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brasil. Cad Saúde Pública 2005; 21: 217-25.
- Orge G, Travassos MJ, Bonfim T. CONVIVENDO COM O HTLV-I. Gaz méd Bahia 2009; 79: 68-72.
- De Brito AM, De Castilho EA, Szwarcwald CL. AIDS e infecção pelo HIV no Brasil: uma epidemia multifacetada. Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 2001; 34: 207-17.
- Costa SM, Dias OV, Canela JR, Drumond JGF, Santa-Rosa TTA. Visão de discentes sobre o atendimento a pacientes HIV/AIDS. Arq odontol 2009; 45: 10-15.
- Feltrin EE, Navarro CM, Sposto MR. Nível de informação e comportamento dos dentistas brasileiros em relação à AIDS e à infecção pelo HIV. Rev odontol UNESP 1997; 26: 287-95.
- Discacciati JAC, Vilaça, EL. Atendimento odontológico ao portador do HIV: medo, preconceito e ética profissional. Rev Panam Salud Publica/Pan Am J Public Health 2001; 9: 234-9.
- BRASIL. Ministério da Saúde. Controle de infecções e a prática odontológica em tempos de AIDS: manual de condutas. Brasília, 2000.
- Corrêa EMC, Andrade ED. TRATAMENTO ODONTOLÓGICO EM PACIENTES HIV/AIDS. Rev Odonto Ciência – Fac Odonto/PUCRS 2005; 49: 281-9.
- Samico AHR, Menezes JDV, Silva M. Aspectos Éticos e Legais do exercício da Odontologia. 2sd ed. Rio de Janeiro: Conselho Federal de Odontologia, 1994.
- Discacciati JAC, Neves AD, Pordeus IA. AIDS e controle de infecção cruzada na prática odontológica: percepção e atitudes dos pacientes. Rev Odontol Univ São Paulo 1999; 13: 75-82.
The submission of originals to Odonto Ciência implies the transfer by the authors of the right for publication. Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication. If the authors wish to include the same data into another publication, they must cite Odonto Ciência as the site of original publication.
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE
As this journal is open access, the articles are allowed free use in scientific and educational applications, with citation of the source.
According to the type of Creative Commons License (CC-BY 4.0) adopted by Odonto Ciência, the user must respect the requirements below.
You are free to:
Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format.
Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.
However, only under the following terms:
Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests Odonto Ciência endorses you or your use.
No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.
You do not have to comply with the license for elements of the material in the public domain or where your use is permitted by an applicable exception or limitation.
No warranties are given. The license may not give you all of the permissions necessary for your intended use. For example, other rights such as publicity, privacy, or moral rights may limit how you use the material.
For more details on the Creative Commons license, please follow the link in the footer of this website.